OVHcloud Community

Welcome to your community space. Ask questions, search for information, post content, and interact with other OVHcloud Community members.

ZoneImport # Name Server field for root subdomain should not be edited # Cancelled

• ZoneImport # Name Server field for root subdomain should not be edited # Cancelled

that is the “error” I get, but wait, it really is an artefact of sabotage, to call things by their name.

I have 2 domains with OVH: At one I could change the NS of the complete domain exa1.de.
Some days later now I cannot do the same thing with the other zone exa2.de.

WTF is going on ? OVH already is the worst provider experience of my life, so why do they keep pushing it? I tried all tricks in the book and online documentation, as usual, is 100% worthless here.

needless to say that ovh litters my screen with this nonsense and misguiding disinfo:

You currently use the following DNS servers:
dns101.ovh.net
ns101.ovh.net
Please use the following DNS servers so that your DNS zone is registered:
ns101.ovh.net
Here you can see the configuration of various domain name records.
You can also configure these records to connect your domain to your different services (button “Add an entry”).

so obviously, the people who wrote this do not know what they’re talking about.

unlike real DNS servers, ovh thwarts the attempt to set the root NS “coldly” i.e. with that nameserver not yet knowing about the zone and without SOA record. you get a field validation error in that case.

once the SOA record exists on your alternative nameserver, ovh allows you to overwrite the root NS (that is ns101.ovh.net) with an alternative address such as desec.io.

Or maybe not. one never knows, not even ovh themselves.

of course, doing this via the TEXT-MODE-ZONEFILE will produce error all the time:
ZoneImport # Name Server field for root subdomain should not be edited # Cancelled

try find the other method in the web GUI.

It too, in all likelihood, will get CANCELLED by OVH Cancel Culture.

ovh culture is as follows: you get prompted by ovh to modify the root NS record, yet they will cancel your attempt of doing exactly that. catch22!